Saturday, April 21, 2012

Hinterland Throw Redux

Here's the status of Hinterland Throws numbers 7 and 8--or are they 8 and 9?  I forget how many I've done so far.  The pink still needs blocking, the lemon is close to done, but here are early pics with attendant Yarn-in-Waiting.


Day 2




Day 3



























Other than the color, what makes these pictures different from the Hinterland-Throw-in-progress pictured in my earlier post, "Is It Maryvale-Worthy," on April 10th?  If you answer correctly, you win!  The prize: the knowledge that you are very observant.  (Sorry, I don't know how to run a real contest on a blog.)

SPOILER ALERT
The answer is: the balls of yarn look different because I BOUGHT A BALL WINDER!

Yes, after crocheting for ninety-umpteen years, overcoming my Fear Of Dropped Stitches (FODS syndrome) and learning to knit, even after graduating from The Cheap Stuff to become a yarn snob in 2007, it still took me five years to indulge in a ball winder.

"I don't need no stinkin' ball winder," I would say to myself with an arrogant snort.  "I don't need no swift.  I just put the dang skein over the back of a chair the way my great-great-grand-granny probably did back in Lithuania, after she no doubt herded sheep, sheared them, washed the fleece, combed and carded and spun and plied the yarn, and washed and wound it, and then stuck it over the back of a chair like the salt of the earth she clearly was, because her lazy, good-for-nothing husband was off fleeing the Cossacks or something and couldn't hold the skein for her, and she wound it by hand into a PERFECTLY USABLE ball of yarn, gosh-dang-it."  If it was good enough for great-great-grand-granny....

Well, last October at the first annual Fiber in the 'Boro festival in lovely Murfreesboro, Tennessee, since it was my birthday and my mom gave me some birthday money, I bought myself a swift.

Handcrafted in America, from Knitting Notions

It's cherry wood, easy to take apart and slide into its little bag and store in the closet.  Perfect!  I like that it's a table-top version that needs no clamping to a table, as I have somehow ended up with highly unclampable furniture with thick, wooden edges that I don't want getting all scarred up.

Still, I resisted the ball winder.  I didn't want to spend more money.  I was running out of storage.  (Right, like a ball winder takes up so much room!  Okay, I never said this was logical.)

But as I've gotten more into spinning, and I was at yet another fiber festival, I did buy a nostepinne.  It's really pretty, but it takes me forever to wind anything on a nostepinne.  I don't think even great-great-grand-granny would have bothered with one.  She'd just do it by hand, by golly.  I'm sure some people are very talented with the nostepinne, but I don't have the patience.   (But I do like saying, "nostepinne.")  Anyway, that did it.  The ultimate motivation.  Or the last straw, however you want to look at it.

So now that I have the ball winder and the swift, which make fiber life so much easier, I can't believe I waited this long.  Now if I just had a table where I could keep them set up all the time, instead of on my dining area table, which rarely exudes a "dining" atmosphere, but more of a workshop/office vibe.  Maybe someday.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!