Monday, June 18, 2012

A Warm Welcome

Thank heaven for fiberholics!  For LYSs and Ravelry!  Moving across country (again) can be a bit discombobulatory even under the best of circumstances--which circumstances I am under, more or less.  Luckily, knitters and crocheters and other fiber fanatics are among the nicest, most welcoming people in the world, and thanks to Ravelry, I had already been in touch with some of them before I even got here.

I've been in my new, soon-to-feel-like-home for a little over a week, and I've already been to a World Wide Knit in Public get-together sponsored by the LYS in Ventura, Anacapa Fine Yarns (www.anacapafineyarns.com.)  In fact, this was the day after I arrived.

Knit first, house-hunt later.  First things first.

I had never even been to the shop, but so what?  Met some lovely fellow knitters and crocheters at the mall, then went to knit night at the shop on Thursday, and met more lovely, welcoming fiber-people.

Comfortingly enough, it happened to be on the same night as my regular knit night back in Nashville, and though I missed my Southern knitsibs, I had fun getting to know the California contingent.

Of course, I took time to browse.  The store is something like the SoCal cousin of my favorite yarn shop in the world, Monarch Knitting & Quilts in Pacific Grove, CA.  (www.monarchknitting.com)

(I am only slightly biased because I used to work there; it really is a great store.)  Anyway, Anacapa is very Monarch-y; they score high on the friendliness factor, and they have a wide variety of yarns with a wide range of prices, so, something for everyone.  There is even the requisite wall of Encore!  Perfect for charity projects.

And then of course, Anacapa was having a sale that weekend, to celebrate eight years in business.  



Of course I had to go.  (Only non-yarnaholics would question this decision.  You know who you are.)

I gave myself an arbitrary budget and stayed well below it, amazingly enough.  But just in case I needed to rationalize the purchase, I did find the perfect yarn I needed for another project I'm designing.


Now all I have to do is finish doing the math, write out the directions, cast on, knit it, cast off, block it, take a picture, type it all up, create a PDF, put the pattern up for sale on etsy, and donate the blanket to charity.  I'm almost done!

I won a raffle prize too!  An organizer pouch and a kacha-kacha row counter, i.e., one of the good ones.  I had just been thinking I needed another of those, since I always have at least eight projects going at once.




Meanwhile, even the sea foam at the beach has been acting like lace.

Ocean air and fiber.  Great combination.





3 comments:

  1. I miss you already. I know you are going to enjoy your new friends and your new yarn shop. Please keep posting and adding pics when you can so I can feel as if I'm there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liana. I am so glad you arrived safe and are settling in to your new digs. Virginia

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!