Saturday, September 8, 2012

Free Pattern Links: Keep Us In The Loop

Since I received a lot of the ribbon yarn that I used for the Ribbon Rib Scarf (free pattern here!), I made yet another one of these scarves with the loopy fringe:



I realize that in these pics, there is more of a centipede look to the scarf.  Do we really want to throw a centipede around our necks?  I'm thinking, no.

But in fact, when worn, these scarves look like boas.

No, not boa constrictors.  Most of us don't really want those around our necks either, do we?  I used to belly dance, and I danced once or twice with a borrowed snake, which was actually kinda cool, but as they say, it was a nice place to visit but I didn't want to live there.

Back to the scarves:  they act like feather boas.  Clearly, I need to find someone to model these things so I can take a decent picture.  The self-portrait with the camera held at the odd, up-jutting angle just doesn't thrill me these days.  That may be due in part to the fact that the angle magnifies my triple chins.






This is another fun, easy pattern, and here's a trick to make it even easier: on every row, knit the first two stitches, then knit through the back loop of the next stitch, then knit normally across to the third stitch from the end and knit through ITS back loop, then knit the last two stitches.

Knitting through the back loop gives a little twist to the yarn, so when you pull the yarn out on each end of each row, that twist keeps the whole thing from unravelling.  No need to tie those knots as described in the original free "recipe": RIBBON LOOP.

I think the pattern works best with a wide ribbon yarn rather than a thinner one, but as all this yarn was donated, a.k.a. free, I'm not complaining.

All the scarves pictured here have been donated to various charities, including Handmade Especially For You.  I heard they are a big hit, and I am grateful to have another place to donate handmade items that don't have to be machine washable.  I hope you'll be inspired to make one; it's really fun to pull out all those loops and see that the scarf doesn't unravel!

Sign up to follow my blog and be among the first to know whenever I post a new free pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!