Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Magnetic Properties of Fiber

The Halloween Binky Patrol party was way fun.  A couple of people showed up wearing great costumes; next year, I might get it together to wear one too.  We shared lots of food and laughter, and bags and bags of blankets and hats to take to charities, and bags and bags full of donated yarn and fabric to use for our next projects.

I donated my Stripe Up The Band binky...



... and a couple of hats, including a Ribble:



... and the quilt I wrote about in my last blog entry.

I plopped myself down near the fan, as it was quite warm that day, and I had the chance to help several hilarious and talented people learn how to knit continental-style.  I love to share the joy of knitting, and they picked it up in no time.  Our fearless Binky leader, Sue, taught me how to knit continental-style several years ago.  And so the circle of life continues....

My official Binky Patrol tote was in as well.  Note the many fine pockets.  This bag behaves itself and stands up rather than falling over into a pile, as many totes tend to do, so I am already using it.  I also managed to grab some donated Bernat Cottontots yarn along the way.  It's 100% cotton, very soft.





I started crocheting a binky with it immediately--YIYO!

My friend Sonja and I have birthdays at about the same time (as does Susan D.--we miss you, Susan!), so now that I'm back in the neighborhood more or less, Sonja and I planned to celebrate together.  Naturally this meant fiber in some form was likely to be exchanged.  I gave her the Crest of a Wave baktus, a shawlette I had been knitting during my travels this summer.  It's a free pattern on Ravelry.



Two skeins of Colinette Jitterbug, out the door!  Success!  It was fun to make, a great travel project, not overly complicated but not boring either, and the yarn is squishy and delicious.

Sonja had decided to sort through her fabric stash, and gave me a big, honkin' pile of various remnants and fat quarters, and bits and blocks.  She has made some beautiful quilts, btw, and has a wonderful color sense, so I had hours of fun sorting fabric when I got home.



All of this fabric fit into one deceptively modest bag!  This picture doesn't do justice to the yards and yards of delightful patterns.






There are lots of cute kitty-themed fabrics; this is only one of them:


Fall Colors

More kitties!






Even more kitties!  I chose this fabric first and then grabbed some others that went with it.

I have already pieced together a top with these; it just needs borders, and then I'll be ready to start the actual quilting.

More pics when it's finished!





Let's face it, fiber has magnetic properties.  Bring a little into the house and it attracts more.  In fact, take some OUT of the house, and you will get double back.

There's nothing you can do about it, so you may as well sit back, knit/crochet/sew/spin/weave, and enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

  1. I noticed a few posts ago you asked for confirmation of the designer of the original fish afghan. It is indeed I, Paula Levy. I love seeing how much fun you and others are having with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Paula, for confirming my suspicions, that you are the original fish designer. Love these fish! Thanks for sharing the design.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!