Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fiber Out!

This past week was great for getting some projects out the door and into the hands of others.  I sent off the butterfly for the Butterfly Project, the squares for the yarn bombing in L.A., then joined a local group making pillowcases for the troops.

My plan was to use up a lot of stash.  I had several patriotic themed fabrics, like this one.



The pattern this group was using, however, called for contrasting trim and end piece colors, and of course, I wanted to use their pattern, so what happened?  I bought more fabric.  I walked out of the quilt shop with more fabric than I went in with.  (Noooooo!)  Luckily, they are planning another event like this in a few months, and now that I know the pattern, I intend to de-stash with a passion.

Here is one of the two pillowcases I made--in the excitement, I forgot to take a picture of the second one.















Here's one someone else made:





I love the fabrics people chose; very cheerful and bright.  More pics may appear soon at www.quiltventura.com.

Where our troops are stationed in Afghanistan tends to be drab in more ways than one, so apparently they are thrilled to get something colorful.





Meanwhile, back here in the States, yesterday was Binky Patrol.  I had finished crocheting a blanket and matching hat from yarn I got from them last time.  Yarn in, yarn out!

The pattern I used is one of my favorite diagonally increasing (and decreasing) stitches.  I hope to publish it soon with several different edging possibilities.  This one I made up on the fly, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Luckily, I took notes, or I would never remember what I did.

I also had a chance to teach a couple of Binky newbies how to knit; I started them off with Continental style.

It's good to know both Continental and "throwing" style, in case you want to do color changes in a row, for example, but why confuse the issue for beginners?  Start them off with the simplest, I say.  (Simple for you, I hear my mom saying.  Hi, Mom!)

Along the way, I ended up helping a lady learn to crochet granny squares.  There was much input from the sidelines about the different ways everyone does the basic granny.  Some do a round and then turn and go back the other way.  This makes it more reversible.  Some put more chain stitches in the spaces.  (This makes the blanket wobbly, in my opinion.)

Anyway, much marveling and wonderment ensued.  New techniques were learned by all.  I try to keep an open mind, and diplomatically tried out other people's suggestions--confusing the beginner in the process, alas.  Lesson learned for me!  At least I quickly figured out to go back to teaching her my technique; I like it, and she did a great job.

The upshot is, there's more than one way to skin a granny square, so whatever works for you is the best way.

And that's the word from my neck of the woods.  Or ocean.


Love to all my readers, and Happy Winter Solstice!  It's coming soon!  The days will be getting longer! Hooray!













1 comment:

  1. Hooray for you on your fiber out. Lots of lucky recipients out there receiving your goodies. I love that you are spreading your knowledge!
    Have a very happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!