Monday, February 18, 2013

An Embarrassment of Riches

I found another great knitting group yesterday, and was invited to a fun-sounding spinning group, which meets on the same day as the charity quilting group, which I can't attend next month anyway because I'm taking a knit-along workshop at an LYS, which means I can't attend the next fiber guild meeting either.  Meanwhile, the quilting class I'm taking meets when Binky Patrol meets, so I can't go to the latter again this month.

It's wonderful to have such a rich fiber arts community here.  I just wish I could do it all.

In the meantime, I've been getting some repair and custom work.  I mended several spots on a lovely machine-crocheted dress.  Here's just a section of it:



Tiny stitches in black!  Truly eye-straining.  I couldn't work on this for more than a half hour or so at a time, but I was really proud of how it turned out.  Luckily, my yarn stash is so large, I was able to match the color without going shopping.

Today I found more matching yarn for another job, a granny square baby blanket from New Zealand that needs mending.  Naturally, the boo-boo has occurred right smack-dab in the middle of the blanket.  The original yarn is quite soft and sweet.  Those New Zealanders know what they're doing, yarn-wise!  It is a sport weight yarn, so again, short work sessions in bright daylight are in order.

And a few weeks ago, I was hired to knit some baby booties, from the Baby Uggs pattern which was free on Knitty Gritty, I believe.




I've designed some new patterns and am writing them down (or up).  A few finishing touches and about twenty-seven photographs, and they'll be ready to show.

In the meantime:








2 comments:

  1. The baby Uggs are so cute! You must be really well at managing your time, you are a very busy lady. How can I find local charities that need blankets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! As far as charities, I would try searching on-line first. There are lots of national charities that collect blankets, with chapters all over the country, like Binky Patrol, Project Linus, or Stitches from the Heart. If there isn't a chapter near you, try your local yarn and quilt shops; they sometimes collect for charity or know people who do. You can also contact local shelters for the homeless, or battered women, or your local hospitals. Good luck! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!