Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Fibonacci Had a Farm

Fibonacci had a farm...




EE
YI
EE
YI
OH

And on his farm he had a Romanesco cauliflower...




EE
YI
EE
YI
OH




With a cauliflower here
And a cauliflower there












Here a fractal,









There a fractal,





Everywhere a fractal,







Fibonacci had a farm...

EE
YI
EE
YI
OH


The other day, I had the good fortune to attend a mini-workshop on "Mathemagical Design" led by Jennifer Moore, a master of double-weaving--not that I knew what that was, not being a weaver myself, but no matter.

She taught a gaggle of us Fiber Arts Guild members a ton of information about the Golden Proportion, Golden Rectangles and Triangles and how to construct them, the Fibonacci sequence of numbers, fractals, and how all these concepts relate to one another and occur in art and nature.

I will not attempt to explain any of it here with my rudimentary knowledge.  Google at will!  Or check out Jennifer's website, www.doubleweaver.com, for more information and some photos of her utterly gorgeous work.

During our lunch break, another Guild member mentioned she was heading over to a nearby Farmers Market, and I tagged along, happy for a chance to walk a little and talk with someone new and interesting.

We came upon a booth with at least a dozen Romanesco cauliflowers that demonstrated everything we had been learning.  Yes, that bright green color in most of my photos is for real.  And yes, each one of those tiny bumps is a perfect replica of the larger bumps.  Although "bumps" is not very poetic sounding, is it?  How about "spires?"

I wish I had taken a picture of the table full of these otherworldly-looking vegetables, but at least I got a few pics once I got home.  Then I sliced it and oven-roasted it with red potatoes, lots of spices, and olive oil.  As they might say back on the old homestead, them fractals is mighty good eatin'.

At any rate, if you ever have a chance to take a workshop with Jennifer, jump at it!  She explains things so clearly, even the mathematically challenged among us were nodding our heads.  And she has a great slide show besides.  So dig in!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!