Thursday, February 14, 2013

Kitty Cat Quilt--Life Imitates Art

I got the fabric:




I started cutting and piecing:






I did the tossed nine-patch, a.k.a. the disappearing nine-patch pattern.

You make some nine-patches as pictured to the right, then you cut them in half twice through the middle, and then supposedly you toss all the pieces in a bag and grab them at random to place them for your quilt top.

Hah!








I couldn't bring myself to be completely random about placing the patches.  Having some balance in colors and shapes appeals to me.  (Judge not lest ye be judged, all you random-happy people out there.)

So mine wasn't exactly tossed.  Mixed, maybe.  Or more precisely, tossed and then re-arranged a lot.




Finished top


When it was time to do the actual quilting, sewing across the little kitty faces was unacceptable to me, so I couldn't do a straightforward, repetitive stitch pattern.  This means some of the squares are quilted differently than others.  How's that for semi-random?





Finished quilt!



















No kitty faces were harmed in the making of this quilt!







Learning how to stitch the binding on with the machine was a fun learning curve as well.  I didn't want to hand stitch the binding for this one.  I wanted something sturdy enough for a baby blanket.



One of the decorative stitch patterns on my cheap but sturdy little sewing machine finally came in handy.

















I was taking pictures of the finished quilt when I glanced out the window and saw this:


This kitty spent a long time preening and cleaning, then curled up for a nap on the roof--






-- in the same direction as in the quilt fabric!


Synchronicity--I love it.

© 2013 Reyna Thera Lorele. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, LOVE that fabric. Nice job on the quilt. I wouldn't be able to completely 'randomize' it either. Love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!