Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Three Shawlettes and a Preemie

Finally, I have finished blocking the parade of shawlettes I made last year.  Shawlettes, as most of you know, are great travel projects, especially using fingering weight yarn which takes up so little room in luggage, purse, or car. Plus, these are knitted, which uses less yarn than crochet.

But I kept putting off blocking them, because let's face it, there are way more fun things to do in life than block a finished project.

Now that my office desk has become my quilting table, however, my dining room table is free for blocking.  The fish are there now, getting their acupuncture treatments.

Who in the crafting world actually eats at a dining room table?  No one I know.  We have our priorities straight.

Before I show the shawlettes, this preemie blanket was the first of the travel projects I finished.


I have a plan for a bigger blanket which will use this stitch pattern in the center, and others around it.  Lots of texture and fun techniques in our futures!

As soon as I finish designing and making the larger one, I will donate this to charity.











The next travel project finished was the Crest of the Wave Baktus, which became a gift for Sonja.



This is a fun pattern, free on Ravelry, all garter stitch but with just enough increases and decreases and yarn-overs to stay interesting without being too vicious a challenge for the travel-weary brain.


I used Colinette Jitterbug.  Love this yarn!








Along the way, I found some wonderful, soft Pagewood sock yarn at Compatto Yarn Salon in Santa Monica.  I had to have it!  I used it to make a small Summer Flies.

The pattern calls for a worsted weight yarn, but I added a few more rows with judicious increases, and the result is large enough, and light enough for summer, just like it's supposed to be.  A summer evening in California, perhaps.  Or a typically air conditioned place in Tennessee.



Has everyone in the knitting world made at least one of these shawlettes?  Thousands of Summer Flies all over the globe!  That calls up a less than pleasant image, doesn't it?




But in truth, the pattern is another fun freebie that turns out beautifully every time.



















Then I finally got around to knitting this one, designed by Diane at Monarch Knitting.  It's called "Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn Shawl."  Not the most flamboyant name, but very clear!  I used Noro Kureyon sock yarn that I've had in my stash for a couple of years, along with Debbie Bliss Rialto 4-ply, another of my favorite yarns.


I love Diane's pattern--I've made two of these, one with the pink colorway and another with a blue, and I get tons of compliments on them.




Now I must go trace a rose design onto squares of muslin for the fourth and last Quilting 103 class.  My finished roses will have these colors in them:



One square already traced, three to go!








No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!