Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pressing Business

Lest you think I haven't been busy:



I have been working on a sampler quilt for a Quilting 103 class.





These are just a few of the blocks I've been making.

Every block being different, it takes a LOT of pressing of fabrics, measuring, cutting, piecing, and pressing some more.  I tell myself, "I hate samplers," but the allure is, I get to learn so many new skills.

I have three more blocks to finish... well, plus two more that need appliqué stitching, but at least they are more or less put together.


I love the designs and colors.  What I don't love are the deadlines.  I don't know why I keep doing this to myself.  I need to get these blocks done in time for the next class, so I can learn how to 'quilt as you go.'





Yes, I've seen the youtube videos, but there is nothing to compare with hands-on, in-person instruction from a great teacher.  (Like at Quilt Ventura, for example.)

I have heard from a creditable source that even if I don't get all the blocks finished in time for the class, I can still learn, even if I'm just observing, and more to the point, the world will not end.

Good to know.  And there I thought avoiding Armageddon was all up to me.  And my quilting.

Getting that blanket knitted in time for the Maryvale graduates (see previous post) is enough pressure for me.

But speaking of pressure, it does amaze me how anxious many of us get when we are learning a new skill.  I felt relaxed learning to crochet and fairly relaxed learning to knit, but for some reason, quilting has such a foreign language, with foreign tools and skills, I notice myself and other classmates getting tense.  Having fun in spite of the tension, perhaps, but still, I often had to remind myself, "This fabric ain't the boss of me.  I am the boss of the fabric.  I am the (soon-to-be) Quilting Goddess."

And, "It's only thread."

I was teaching a newbie how to knit the other day, and her hands were shaking!  This was a beautiful, intelligent, accomplished young woman, and I was certain she could learn to knit, and of course, she did, in spite of her nerves.  I tried to be a calming influence along the way.

So, thought for the day: don't forget to breathe.







1 comment:

  1. Your blocks are beautiful! And you are sooooooo far ahead of me in finishing. I'm going to have to really knuckle down when we get back from CO.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!