Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Can You Say "Jacaranda?"

I have moved.  I am in the new place, with towers of boxes obstructing my otherwise fabulous views of pine trees all around--and in the city!  A walkable neighborhood, but pretty!  Will wonders never cease?

While all the chaos of looking for and finding an apartment, packing and moving was going on, spring was leading us into summer, and the jacaranda has been blooming.


Jacaranda in the mist


People wax poetic about the redbud and dogwood, forsythia and irises in the spring in Tennessee, and they are absolutely gorgeous and all praise is well-deserved, but here we have the delicious scent of jasmine, eucalyptus, and lemon blossoms, our roses bloom all year, and we have explosions of jacaranda.

By now, many of the blooms have fallen, but they are still carpeting the streets and sidewalks.

Some people pronounce jacaranda "jack-a-ran-da," as in, Jack ran down the hill.  Others of us say, "ha-ka-ran-da," as in "Ha ha!  Help me Rhonda."  We think we are so darn smart, because we think it is a Spanish word, and we are ever so clever to be pronouncing it with some semblance of authenticity, when in fact we have no idea what we are doing, and we are going to google it right now.

Okay, I'm back.  Wikipedia goes with the Jack and Jill pronunciation, but then, they start the page with saying the information is disputed, right?  I didn't have time to look at more than a few sites, and none of the others risk offering a pronunciation.

But apparently, jacarandas are controversial.  Who knew?!  A friend was telling me about this the other day.

Apparently, some people don't like to park under them because the blooms give off a sticky residue.  And sometimes parking space is difficult to find, so they're stuck under a jack-a-ran-da.  Or the blooms gum up the gutters at the house, or the koi pond, or what-have-you.

Other people don't care, or are willing to deal with it for the sake of the beauty.  Some of us don't wash our cars often enough anyway, so what's a little sticky residue--I was going to say, 'among friends?'

Meanwhile, I have been going through a kind of fiber withdrawal.  Much too much going on to do any quilting, because quilting for me requires Brain, and my brain is already overworked.  I've done a bit of easy knitting, a bit of crochet, but I haven't done any spinning either, because I have boxes everywhere and nowhere comfortable yet to set up even my little wheel.

And now it's time to go back to busy work, changing contact information with 97 different institutions from the bank to the fiber guild, and everything in between, and trying to keep up with paying bills, and work.  Someday soon, though, I will have fiber fun to report!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new move, sorry we haven't had time to chat. I want to hear all about it. I love those jacarandas, I bet they are beautiful. The blooms in Tennessee have come in bloom in full force too. They miss you!!!
    Don't forget to send me your new address.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!