Friday, November 22, 2013

Hot Cocoa Mo' Blues

I wish I had looked more closely at what I was knitting every row or two or three.

I thought I was moving along swimmingly, knitting those three different stitch patterns per row, with the decreases and the increases and the knitting into the back loop sometimes and sometimes not, and the purling into the back loop sometimes and sometimes not, and the twisting of stitches and wrapping the yarn clockwise instead of counter-clockwise, and the what-all and the what-not and the what-on-earth-for, keeping track of everything ever so beautifully, only to hold up the sweater back after the armhole shaping last night, and realize, I got off track in two different places, for three or four rows, TWENTY OR THIRTY rows earlier.  Days and days ago.

It doesn't look good.



I encourage people to resist frogging unless absolutely necessary.  Call small errors a design element, and move on.  Live and learn.  It's all practice, right?

I kept looking at it, wishing it didn't look as bad as it did.

"Breathe," I told myself, trying not to despair.

But note how the simple rib in the center section suddenly goes flat.  It looks like someone pulled a thread out of some cloth.






Note how, on the side, the diagonal suddenly stops, as if it has hiccuped or burped, then continues to diagonalize.

Having read other knitters' notes on Ravelry, I know it isn't just me finding this pattern surprisingly challenging, but still, it chafes to make mistakes like this.

I was strongly considering how I might go stitch by stitch down to the Disaster Areas and redo the stitches one by one without ripping out all the rows, but given the fact that some stitches are meant to be twisted and some are not, I could easily make things even worse.

I set the sweater aside--moments of sense and sensibility do occur, I didn't try to fix it at 10 p.m.  I congratulate myself for that at least!

I went to sleep, and then this morning I spread the sweater out to see if those errors really were as bad as I thought after a good night's rest.

Do they bother me still?  Yes.

Do I want to rip it out?  No.

Do I want to wear this sweater with two glaring messes in the back?  After all the work I am putting into this *!#$% thing?  No.

These mistakes don't look like a design element.  They look like crap.

So, I will be spending part of this evening carefully frogging and keeping track of what row I am on, since practically every *!#$% row is different.

"It's the journey, not the destination," I mutter unconvincingly to myself.  "Process, not outcome, progress, not perfection."  Sure, sure--blah blah blah!

I am developing a love-hate relationship with this pattern.  Love the way the stitches look, hate how easy it is to screw it up.  I was hoping to wear this sweater at least once this winter!  Looks like it might be ready in time for November 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!