Recently, I took a potholder-making class. (Check out one tutorial for the pattern we used here.)
I was hoping to be enthralled with making potholders. "What a great way to use up fabric quickly! I could make a ton of these and sell them in my Etsy shop!" I thought.
Turns out, it's not really my thing. I'd rather be quilting. But I enjoyed the class, hanging out with friends, creating, and learning something new.
I used one of the many cat-themed fabrics and other remnants Sonja gave me last year.
The clever construction of the potholder still left something to be desired in the way it was finished. Our teacher chose to sew all the pockets or flaps down with a zigzag stitch, and my friend Elisa zigzagged hers and it looked great.
Mine, however, was atrocious. I blame it on the fact that I only had my otherwise wonderful Janome Gem with me, and my zigzag selection was severely limited. (It can't be my amateur sewing skills!)
I got out the seam ripper, made mincemeat of the zigzags, then cut out one of my favorite cats from an extra bit of fabric, sewed it onto some fusible web, turned it inside out, pressed it on with the iron, and appliquéd it by hand with blanket stitch, since I didn't want any stitching to show on the back and mess with the charming cat motif.
I had thought this might make a good gift for someone, but it's so darn cute, I think I have to keep it!
It's sitting on the kitchen counter now, all ready for Thanksgiving.
Have a happy one, everyone!