Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Free Pattern Link: Evolution Shawl


This shawl is so much fun to knit, never boring, and the results are stunning.  I used the Rylie yarn by HiKoo:  baby alpaca, silk, and linen.  It drapes beautifully, it's soft, and it offers a bit of "bloom" without shedding all over the place.
Lorrie models the shawl in the shop--Thanks, Lorrie!

Go to skacelknitting.com and scroll down for this great pattern (I offer just a few errata notes below); you can get the charts, as well as directions written out line by line.  You might want to double-check for errata on the written directions; I didn't use them, so can't give you a heads-up on those.

WORDS OF WARNING:  Be aware of the idiosyncrasies of the charts!

I was making this for a shop sample, and I was given a pattern with just the charts.  Which is fine, I am perfectly capable of reading charts, however, not to sound overly whiny or bitchy, but not everyone vets their charts as carefully as we might like.  Now, we all make mistakes, typos happen;  I get it.  Technical writing is challenging.  And the pattern is free, after all!  So one doesn't like to complain.  Much.



BUT, perhaps to save space, or for whatever reason, the charts only show half of each row.  Then you are supposed to do your center stitch action, which is not charted--which is fine, because you have placed your markers and you have a brain--and then the pattern says, for the other half of the row, to "mirror" the diagram.

Weeeelll, not exactly.  Sorta, but not exactly.



Braintwister #1:  An accomplished knitter will notice that if, for example, you did a k2tog just before the center stitches on the right half of the shawl, you will want to do a ssk on the left side.  This is not marked or even mentioned, and a newbie knitter would probably just do another k2tog, and this is not a big deal unless you want your lace to look, well, the way it's supposed to look.  As in, your lacey bits and decrease bits are slanting the right way.

Keep this in mind for your k4tog's and ssssk's and so on as you work on the charts.  No big deal.

Braintwister #2:  Usually, when reading charts for flat knitted objects (i.e., not knitted in the round), my experience is, you read:
row 1 from right to left
row 2 from left to right
row 3 from right to left
row 4 from left to right
and so on.

But in these charts, even though they have numbered the rows traditionally, with odd numbers on the right, and even numbers on the left, DO NOT READ THEM THAT WAY!  Or you will be very sad.

I should speak for myself.  I was very sad.  At first, my brain twisted into little knots and even required me to pause the television.  (The horror!)




For this pattern, you read from right to left for the first half of each row, then do your little center stitch action, then read left to right on the same row.  And do this on EVERY row.  You never start a row on the left.  Even when you are knitting the so-called wrong side rows, you still start right to left.  Then do the center stitch.  Then read left to right.

Am I crazy, or is this highly unusual charting?  Never mind, once I figured it out, it was no problem.  But their brief direction to "mirror" the chart was not particularly clear to me.  (But they didn't ask me to edit before they went to press, did they?  No.  They never do.  Sigh.)

This is the second free Skacel pattern I've made that has had a misprint or misdirection;  the other one had dire consequences!  I will tell you all about "Frankencowl" another time!

Meanwhile, minor problems notwithstanding, if you like to knit shawls, I highly recommend this one.  Very satisfying to knit!

Blocking half a shawl at a time





1 comment:

  1. Stunningly gorgeous! You are so talented. They should definitely ask you before printing any more patterns . . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!