Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Free Pattern: Peasant Scarf

As promised, I gave the Equinox Scarf the ribbon yarn treatment.

Then, for fun, I threw in one of the stitch patterns from Catch A Mermaid.  The combination reminds me of the lace in some of those white peasant blouses I used to wear in my flower child days.

Adding a third stitch added to the effect.  I was going to switch between the three in a free and random fashion, but instead, as usual, I ended up being consistent with the number of rows of each.

My nature clearly tends to the organized.  At least, in knitting.




The finished scarf is just about the right size for Handmade Especially For You. They give comfort scarves to battered women in domestic violence shelters.  I am planning to send this to them as soon as I can gather a few more.






Now I'm trying one with chunky yarn, or carrying along two at a time.  I cast on 12 and I'm using #11 needles.  This time I am randomly changing the stitch patterns.




Also testing some beautiful beaded mohair, Schulana Kid-Seta Pearl, which I got from Roxanne's

Sorry you can't really see the beads in this pic.

I cast on 24, using #10 needles.  I'm making it a little wider because it's so floaty and ethereal.

To me, this pattern looks good with any yarn!

Sign up to follow my blog and know right away when I post a new, free pattern!




PEASANT SCARF


© 2014 Reyna Thera Lorele
www.etsy.com/shop/YIYOdesigns
www.yarninyarnout.blogspot.com


See below for list of abbreviations.
Finished size:  about 5" x 65"
Materials needed:  about 200 yards worsted weight yarn.
#10 needles.  Or use any weight yarn and size needles that give you a lacy effect.  Gauge is not crucial.

DIRECTIONS
Cast on any multiple of 2.  With worsted weight, I cast on 16.

BEGIN EQUINOX PATTERN
Knit 52 rows as follows:
k1, *yo, skp* across, end with k1

BEGIN MERMAID MESH
Row 1:  k1, *yo, k1*, rep from * across to last st, k1
Row 2:  k1, p across to last st, k1
Row 3:  k1, k2tog across to last st, k1
Rows 4 and 5:  k1, *yo, k2tog*, rep from * across to last st, k1
Rows 6 and 7:  k

Rep rows 1 through 7 two more times.

Repeat EQUINOX for 16 rows.
Repeat MERMAID MESH 7-row sequence, twice.

BEGIN KNOT-STITCH MESH
Row 1:  *yo twice, k1*, rep from * across.
Row 2:  *k2, p1, pass k sts over p st*, rep from * across.  (See Note below.)

Rep rows 1 and 2 three more times.

Note: Row 2 of the Knot-Stitch Mesh is a bit tricky.  You k the first st, then k the first yo, then p the 2nd yo.  Now pass both k sts over the p st.  Just be careful, when you k the first yo, not to slip that 2nd yo off the L needle before you p!


Repeat MERMAID MESH 7-row sequence, twice.
Repeat EQUINOX for 52 rows.
Repeat MERMAID MESH 7-row sequence, twice.
Repeat KNOT-STITCH MESH 2-row sequence, four times.
Repeat MERMAID MESH 7-row sequence, twice.
Repeat EQUINOX for 16 rows.
Repeat MERMAID MESH 7-row sequence, three times.
Repeat EQUINOX for 52 rows.

Bind off, weave in ends, block if desired, and donate!  (Or wear.)

ABBREVIATIONS
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 together
p = purl
psso = pass slipped stitch over
rep = repeat
sl = slip
skp = wyib, sl 1 if to p, k1, psso
st = stitch
wyib = with yarn in back
yo = yarn over

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have a question on the equinox pattern. Do you pass the yarn over or the slip stitch? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacy, and thanks for your interest in the pattern. Pass the slipped stitch over the stitch you knit. Hope that makes it clear. Happy knitting!

      Delete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!