Saturday, July 26, 2014

A Patriotic Quilt Top

I committed recently to finishing one quilting UFO a month (see the 52 Quilts website for more details), and while I was finishing my June jelly roll project, I pulled out some fat quarters that I won during last year's Central Coast Quilt Shop Tour.

I am determined to use up my stash!  So I cut up the fabric in June, creating another UFO.  As if I didn't have ten UFOs already!  But this one looked so easy!  I couldn't wait to start sewing.




The patriotic theme of the fabrics fits perfectly with July 4th, although I didn't finish the top until July 13.  Yes, some of the fabrics are more modern than the others.  Yes, some of the white is white-white, and some is cream.  Who cares?!

I followed a pattern by Gail Abeloe from Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove.  It's from a booklet called Top 10 Saturday Demo Patterns.

I added a couple of borders to make mine larger, since I had half the amount of fabric the original pattern called for.




I decided just the top counts as an FO, and even though it is still rather small, it would be a challenge to quilt it on my home machine, so I gave it to kindhearted Debbie to quilt for the Quilting Angels charity.

She has a longarm machine!  And she knows how slow a quilter I really am.

Fabric in, fabric out!  FIFO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!