Saturday, October 25, 2014

Sunrise, Sunset

I've been working off and on for months on this quilt.



One reason it took so long is that most of the fabrics for the top were donated to the Quilting Angels.  Since there wasn't enough of any one color to do all the sashing and binding, let alone the backing, I got to be creative with arranging, rearranging, and re-rearranging the colors until I was happy with the result.










Another reason this quilt took so long is that I couldn't decide on the borders.  Shopping occurred.  I chose something, got it home, didn't like it after all, and started all over again with scraps.  I still didn't have just the right shade of pink for the bottom right corner.




More shopping ensued, and more arranging and rearranging of more scraps.









When I finally got the top sewn together, and pinned it to the backing I bought and the batting I won on the Quilt Shop Tour last year (free batting!  Yay!), I couldn't decide how to do the actual quilting.

Much contemplation was required.

Finally I hit on the "rays of the sun" idea for the black and white squares, which picks up on the general sunrise and/or sunset aspect of the sashing and borders.  (I wonder how much of one's personality can be determined from answering this question: is the glass half sunset or half sunrise?)




After I did some quilting in the ditch and some sun's rays, there was the literally knotty problem I had of switching to free motion quilting and forgetting to change the needle to the right size for the variegated thread I was using, and also forgetting to lower the feed dogs on the machine.

Surprise!  It really, really helps to lower the feed dogs, folks!  Cue the seam ripper.



I planned to finish this quilt in January.  I planned to finish it in…August, with any luck.



I planned to finish it in September.  I finally finished on Friday, October 10.





Binding sewn on the front, ready to flip



Usually I machine sew the binding to the back, flip it over and machine sew it on the front.  Supposedly this holds up better to many washings for children's quilts, plus it's so much faster to sew.  Given how long it takes me to make a quilt, I am all for faster!

But for this one, I decided to do a more traditional binding, machine sewing it to the front, then hand sewing it to the back.  I already had so much wild and woolly quilting going on, I didn't want to add another line of stitches to the front.




Another reason this quilt took so long is that I love it so much, it's hard to let it go.  But I turned it in yesterday, and although I kinda miss it already, a part of me is glad that an unknown someone in the hospital will, I hope, find some cheer and comfort with this quilt draped over them.

And I get to keep lots of pictures, and the memory of how much fun it was to make.

2 comments:

  1. I understand why you hated to see it leave--it is as lovely a quilt as I have seen. All the back and forth on what to put what where was well worth the effort. When you decided on quilting you hit the ground running. I am more than impressed. Well done, my friend! Some little peep somewhere is going to be sooooo happy to snuggle under that gift.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!