Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Sometimes a Sock

Sometimes you have to make a sock.  Not because you want to, but because you have to.  The sock-obsessed knitters among us will understand this on a deep and cosmic level.



The rest of us, who have experimented with socks and discovered we don't really care for making them or wearing the finished product (I know, it's hard to believe), sometimes have to make them for shop samples.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the socks;  there are so many beautiful patterns.  I just don't want to make them.

I do like sock yarn, though, and feel it is perfect for shawls!  And bakti!  (The plural of baktus.)

Luckily, I only had to make the one baby sock.  Finished items have a tendency to walk away from the shop somehow, and how much easier for an itty-bitty sock: imagine if there were a pair!  They would be irresistible to the kleptomaniacs and downright thieves.

I do like the result, even though the project required frogging and starting over six times with different size needles until I got the gauge I wanted and understood why they wanted you to start the 2 x 2 rib pattern with just one purl stitch.

The pattern is from a booklet by Kreativ called "My First Regia," for Schachenmayr Regia sock yarn, which comes in tiny adorable skeins of bright, charming colors.  The booklet includes a baby hat pattern, a pattern for booties, and one for the baby socks.



There are general instructions in three different sections, a table for how many stitches to cast on, how to arrange heel stitches, length of foot and so forth, for different sizes, in another section, and step-by-step instructions in two other sections, separated by the general instructions and the table, strangely enough, and written in a way that I find remarkably obtuse.  (Who, me, complain about how a pattern is written?  No, never!)

But once you figure out where the actual directions are, as opposed to the overview of the techniques, it comes together easily.

I turn in the sock today, and it's on to the next project!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!