Saturday, February 28, 2015

Free Pattern Link: Simple Scarves for Knit or Crochet


Does it really count as being in your stash if someone just gave you a ton of yarn?  For free?

Does it count as stash if you plan to use it for charity?

Does it count as stash if you have nowhere to store it, so it's piled up on the floor in the living room?




Truer colors
Clearer pic

Someone (I blame Elisa) gave me the opportunity to swoop down like a vulture on a big bag of mostly novelty yarn.  I've gone through phases of liking and then being bored with such yarn, but lately, I've gotten back into using it for scarves for this wonderful charity, Handmade Especially For You.

They have several simple free crochet and knitting patterns for their scarves; check them out.



I like the fact that I can use yarn that isn't necessarily machine washable.

Most charities prefer a machine washable item, and while that is completely understandable, it limits my yarnaholic desire to work with other kinds of fibers.









Here's what I've been doing lately:

FREE CROCHET SCARF "RECIPE"
Chain away with a big hook until you have a chain about 60 inches long, then single or double crochet a row or two, changing yarns whenever you feel like it, until the scarf is about 5 inches wide.

No need for fancy stitches, as they don't show up in the fluffy stuff anyway.  I'm a fan of fancy stitches, but sometimes I don't want to have to concentrate on what I'm doing.

I do tend to feel twinges of guilt when I greedily snag lots of yarn or fabric, so I sat down last night and made this little number for charity out of the new yarn.


Here are some others I've made from stash I've been lugging around with me for years; these will probably go to charity as well:






Several women in our local fiber arts guild have started making scarves too, so whenever we have enough to fill a box, I will ship them off.  We've already sent 20 from our guild!

So, we get to play with yarn AND do something kind for someone?!  Who could ask for more?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!