Sunday, March 29, 2015

Snowstar, A Judy Niemeyer Winter Wonderland Wall Hanging

I finished a UFO!


Last fall, I took a workshop with Catherine Wilson, who is a certified Judy Niemeyer instructor.  The pattern is Winter Wonderland, and it's meant to be a 3-star wall hanging and/or table runner.

I chose to make just one star.  Time constraints and having 20 projects going at once influenced my decision.

Choosing fabric
Also, I've done paper piecing before and enjoyed it, but I wasn't sure I was going to like this method.  It's slightly different, and more complicated.

There are 8 pages of instructions!  There are templates!  There are fussy ways of folding fabric and cutting tiny pieces!

It was all a bit overwhelming, until I got into class and Catherine patiently explained what to do.  I can see why you would need to be certified to teach this method.

Will the points match?!



I still managed to fold some of my fabric incorrectly and end up with cuts on the wrong side, but luckily, they were just barely big enough to work when I flipped them over.










Adding borders
A couple of friends were taking the workshop too, and they went home and promptly finished all three of their stars, with borders, batting, and binding:  table runners done.  How obnoxious!  It has taken me months!  But only because I was working on other projects.

The process was challenging and fun.  But I'm still glad I only made one star.  (So far.  I have templates for two more.)









Pinned and ready to quilt


I put a hanging sleeve on the back as I hope to hang this in a show at the end of May.

It feels so good to cross a UFO off my list!

On to the next!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!