Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Free Pattern: Patriotic Striped Ten Inch Square (10")


Here's another 10" square for the patriotic blanket I have in mind.   Since I'm using up scraps, these stripes are a good way to go.  Obviously, you can use any colors you please.

I have at least two more 10" square patterns in the queue, so stay tuned.

I'm keeping this series of free patterns easy so beginners can participate.  Also, some people prefer simple patterns when making things for charity; it makes churning out blankets a lot faster!

I didn't bother cutting the yarn in between color changes.  No way I want to weave in that many ends.  You can just carry whatever color you aren't currently using up the sides, as I did.

For a photo tutorial of how to carry yarn up the sides so it's woven in as you go, click HERE and scroll down to the tutorial.

It doesn't look perfect, but I figure once I join all the squares together, it won't show, especially since I plan to use single crochet to join.

For more free patterns in my 10" square series, click on the title:
Patriotic Star
No Mistake Rib
Beaded Rib
Slip Stitch Rib

PATRIOTIC STRIPED TEN INCH SQUARE

© 2015 Reyna Thera Lorele
www.etsy.com/shop/YIYOdesigns
www.yarninyarnout.blogspot.com

Materials
About 50 yards each of two colors of worsted weight yarn (Color A and Color B)
#8 needles, or size to get gauge
Gauge
4.5 sts per inch

Basically, I did 6 rows of garter st with one color, and 6 rows of stockinette with the other color.  For those of you who need more precise directions, here they are:

DIRECTIONS
With Color A, CO 45 sts.
K 6 rows.

Change to Color B.
Row 1:  k across.
Row 2:  p across

Rep rows 1 & 2 twice more.

Change back to Color A.
K 6 rows.

Rep pattern as described, changing colors, until square measures about 9.25 inches from bottom.  Change to Color A and knit 6 rows.  Bind off, cut yarn, finish off.  Weave in ends and block lightly to 10" square.

ABBREVIATIONS
CO = cast on
k = knit
p = purl
rep = repeat
st, sts = stitch, stitches








2 comments:

  1. I've just finished a knitted afghan using 2 of your 'patriotic' squares. I'd love to share a photo of it with you. Tell me how. SV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! Are you on Ravelry? You can post it there and link it to my pattern on there, then people can find it. I would love to see it!

      Delete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!