Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A Bit of Bowl

A few weeks ago, I mentioned to my mom over the phone that I was going to take a class on how to make fabric bowls.

I could almost see, over the air waves, her eyes widening in disbelief.

Mom tends to think sometimes that I am frivolous, if not entirely off my rocker.  Whereas to me, if it's beautiful, you should make it.  Seems entirely logical, if not downright necessary.

I seem to recall she said something like, "Fabric bowls?!  But what can you put in them?!  Certainly not soup!"

Well, no, not soup.  But how about your car keys?  Or other odds and ends that always seem to end up under a pile of other odds and ends, so that the former odds and ends are difficult to find?  Or maybe seashells?  Or pens?  Or…?

Mom sounded unconvinced.  We love each other;  we don't always understand each other!

I took the class and here's the bowl I made.


It is currently holding scraps of fabric, and several pieces of paper with pithy sayings on them--you know, the ones you want to keep but don't know where to put them and are too lazy (or busy) to rewrite them into your journal?

Our teacher, Rodi Ludlum, makes gorgeous fabric vases, too, and puts a small glass vase or spice jar inside them, so you can actually use them for flowers.  That's the next class I hope to take.

The only problem for me was that it turns out my adorable little Janome Gem sewing machine, which I love, does not do satin stitch, i.e., a very dense zig-zag.  Surprise!  Right in the middle of class, I made this discovery.

Rodi kindly let me use her machine, but it would be rude of me to assume I could do the same for the vase class.

Maybe I can rent a machine that does satin stitch.  I really don't want to buy a new machine for classes!  Well, actually, I really do, but I won't spend the money.  My big momma Janome at home has stitches out the wazoo, including satin.  It seems frivolous, even to me, to have three sewing machines.  Mom and I can probably agree on that!

Here's the bowl my friend Elisa made in class--I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful outcome! I would love to see the vase. Three machines sounds about right to me. : ). Sonja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three machines--just what I wanted to hear!

      Delete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!