Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Bay Breeze Blue Denim Delight

I am planning a trip soon, so naturally, it is crucial to figure out what project I want to take.  I'm thinking knitting because crochet uses more yarn, and I need to pack lightly.

I spun this wonderful Merino wool and Tussah silk roving many moons ago--you can read about my adventures in Fear of Plying here.

As you can see, it's a lovely, denim-y color, which was called "Bay Breeze," and which I call "Den-yum."

Today, I finally decided to wind it, and maybe knit another, bigger Trousseau shawl.

There are 882 yards of yarn here by my reckoning, more than enough.  I'm hoping this will be my travel project.

I want to work on someone else's pattern.  I don't want to be designing anything of my own on my trip;  I need a break from all the thinking and planning and note-taking, trying things and frogging them in a perfectionistic funk.

Anyway, I'm proud of myself for realizing that I couldn't wind all 882 yards into one big skein.  In fact, it would be foolhardy to have one big skein.   I need smaller ones that will fit in my purse and will smoosh into nooks and crannies in a suitcase.



I plan to swatch this evening.

Here's the first Trousseau shawlette I made using Debbie Bliss Rialto 4-ply, one of my favorite yarns due to its smoothness and stitch definition.



Being handspun--especially being my handspun--the Den-yum will be less defined, but I'm hoping it will still be beautiful.

Wish me luck on the swatch!




4 comments:

  1. What beautiful yarn and you spun it as well . I'm I pressed--as usual. Where are you going? Miss you,my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shawlette is beautiful!! I like the color of the yarn you used for this project. Have fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!