Thursday, October 1, 2015

Little House on the Incredibly Tiny Prairie

Have you ever started a project and wondered, "What in the world was I thinking?!"

Well, of course you have.  Silly of me to even ask.

Recently a friend was cleaning out her stash.  (That is the beginning to one of my favorite recurring stories!)  And, as the story always seems to go, she was giving away Stuff.

Among the Stuff this friend was releasing into the wild (and my closet) was a bag full of probably hundreds of small pieces of muslin stamped with various patterns for foundation piecing.

Log cabins and flying geese, cats and fans and houses, sailboats, and even smaller flying geese.

In the back of my mind, I have been wanting to use scraps to make some miniature quilt tops, just for fun.  And lo, the Universe (and Carol) provided!

She also gave me a bag full of scraps of fancy-schmancy fabrics, which I thought I might use.

But I do like working with cotton, so that's what I decided to use for the first one, at least.




And as I pieced, I questioned the wisdom with every itty-bitty seam.  I cheated on a couple: the sides on either end of the house are actually designed for four pieces of fabric, and I only used two.



I am pleased with the result, which measures 3.5 inches at the moment.  You can see those perfect 1/4 inch seam allowances at the edges and point of the roof:  the gift of foundation piecing.

I have this one tiny house sitting out on a table, and I admire it every time I walk by.  And someday, I will make more itty-bitty houses and flying geese, and I will use them for something!  (I have an idea….)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!