Sunday, March 13, 2016

Placemat Party

Awhile back, a friend designed a very cool pattern for placemats.  It's the "Set of Four Coordinating Placemats" by Debbie Bayer.  I think the pattern is still available for sale at Quilt Ventura.


I don't usually use placemats, but hers were so darn cute, I wanted to make them.

I was going to take a class and make the placemats there, but something came up, or it was scheduled for a day I couldn't go, and I ended up with the fabric and the muslin lining all dressed up (washed and pressed) with nowhere to go.






It turned out, another friend had bought the pattern and wanted to make them too.

After much delay, resulting from having a zillion other things to do, and also from both of us feeling slightly trepidatious due to what we relative newbies considered the complicated nature of the pattern, we finally set a date to get together and bravely begin.

I got started ahead of time, mainly because I had said I would help my fellow newbie, and I wasn't entirely sure I would be able to do so.  The directions were a bit of a brain teaser for me, but I was able to figure them out.  Hooray for me!




The only thing I don't like is my sewing on the finished edge.  I haven't run across this way of doing a binding before.  Maybe it isn't new to someone more experienced.


At first, try as I might, I could not figure it out.  There's a template involved.  There's a flipping and folding activity involved.  I was stumped.

Finally, I was washing the dishes one night around 11:30 p.m., and I was mentally drafting an email to Debbie confessing my utter confusion and pleading for mercy and help, and then suddenly, I understood.  I just suddenly Got It.

It is so clever!



But apparently, I'm not a good enough sewist for something this clever.

Or, maybe next time, with practice, I will be able to make it look less Obviously Homemade.  On the other hand, why would we want it to look store-bought?

Anyway, my friend and I had fun on our sewing days, and I'm sure all this mental activity will prevent Alzheimer's as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!