Friday, July 22, 2016

The Split Variable Star

I inadvertently started a new project.

"I didn't mean to," she whined, "it just happened."


You know how sometimes you're just walking along, minding your own business, and suddenly you fall into a new project?  Ouch!

I blame the Quilt Guild.  Every time we get a new Guild president, the members make blocks, following a theme of some kind, as a gift for the OGP (outgoing president.)

This year, we are doing stars again, and the OGP likes Kaffe Fassett fabrics.

I happen to have a small stash of Fassett scraps, all gleaned from the Guild's Treasure Table.

And I have a pattern from Quilt Ventura, called the Split Variable Star, finished size, 6 inches.  Perfect!

(If you were to contact Quilt Ventura, I bet you could get a copy.)



So I made one.  I figured I'd crank it out and be done.  But it was so darn cute!

Besides, due to the way one makes half-square-triangles, I ended up with an extra center piece.

What's a quilter to do?

Make more blocks, of course!


Then I realized, since one corner of the block is different from the other, a secondary motif would emerge if one were to make a whole friggin' bunch of the darn things, which are, as I mentioned, going to finish at only 6 inches each, so one would need a whole friggin' bunch if one wanted to make a whole friggin' quilt, wouldn't one?

Actually, these are really fun to make, and the arranging possibilities are endless, so, let the scrappy quilting continue!







I made a different block for the OGP.



Sorry, but the split variables are mine, all mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!