Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Starburst Quilt

I meant to make a bunch of bright stars for this charity quilt out of cheerful donated fabrics.  But after I made a few star-like things, I sorta wanted to mix things up.

Here are a couple of pics of the planning stages.




I found drawing out a plan on graph paper to be immensely helpful in figuring out where to place what, and how much sashing I would need in between.

Every square represented 2 inches finished.  I added a 1/2 inch for the two 1/4 inch seam allowances on each edge of a given block.

I just did a little (or a lot!) of that four-letter word that so many of us cringe upon hearing:  math.

That black and white checkerboard is a cheater:  the squares are already in the fabric.




I also experimented with the actual quilting and I learned a lot about what I like and what I don't really like, even though I thought I would.



My next soon-to-be-finished quilt has much more minimalist quilting on it.  But this one was a ton of fun.  And it's already out the door, on its way to the hospital.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!