Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Attack of the UFO

Back in January, 2013, I took a Quilting 103 class.  It was a sampler class where I learned about foundation paper piecing, foundation muslin piecing, Y seams, various ways to make flying geese, and much more.

After we made the blocks, we began to learn how to Quilt As You Go (QAYG).  I thought it would be so much easier to quilt on my home machine.  Once you finish each block, you make a quilt sandwich with the batting and the backing, and you quilt each block before you join them all together.






Turns out, I didn't care for the technique.  The blocks sat in my closet as a UFO (unfinished object) for three (3) {III} years and ten months (10) {X}, but who's counting?!


Yes, the blocks, and the batting, some of it quilted and some not, strips of fabric for the sashing, and extra fabric as yet uncut, were all rolled up in various bags sitting on top of other projects and bins, annoyingly in my way every time I wanted to get at something else, for three (3) {III} years.  And ten (10) months.

Finally I dragged the darn thing out and read over my extremely sparse, scribbled, deeply annoying notes.

I whined pathetically to my friend and sometime teacher Debbie about my confusion.  She kindly agreed to help me.

But then I amazed myself when I managed to figure out how to do the QAYG aspect after all--my brain is not dead!  Reports of its early demise are premature!--and I finished the stupid quilt.


And that's the back.

I thought I ought to put a border on it, but I really didn't want to take the time, and with full emotional support from Debbie and our friend Elisa, I just did the binding and called it quits!  (Called it "quilt.")

Hooray!  On to the next project!


1 comment:

I love getting your comments. Thanks for sharing!