When I first started hoarding donated fabric for this charity quilt several years ago, I didn't really know what pattern I would use, I just knew I wanted to do something with a variety of jungle-themed fabrics that seemed to leap into my hand despite a prevalence of tans and browns, which are not my favorite colorways.
Eventually I ran across the (free!) Serengeti pattern by Jinny Beyer. I love her fabrics and patterns, btw.
A few months ago, I finally got around to making the top, adding some extra borders (in order to use up more fabric, darn it! I'm running out of storage!), and piecing a back big enough to quilt on my friend Debbie's longarm quilting machine.
Yesterday was my second time playing with that machine. Debbie did all the heavy lifting--squaring and pinning and otherwise securing back, batting, and top, bobbin-ing and threading and everything else.
We chose a jungle-themed pantograph, and away I went, following the little laser light along the lines. (I know that sentence won't make much sense to anyone who has never used a longarm, but it's kind of hard to explain, so...sorry!).
But the thread kept breaking as I neared the giraffe's horns. They were much smaller than most of the pattern, and apparently I would slow down too much and then snip-snap-crunch, the top thread would break and instead of quilting, I would just be making little needle-sized holes in the quilt.
Blessings upon Debbie for her patience! She's even going to put the binding on!
I arrived at her place with two big bags full of quilt top and back, scraps from a bunch of charity quilts I've already donated, and a bag of old shirts that were fraying. (Debbie and her friends are filling pillowcases with shredded fabric and making pet-beds for local animal shelters. Nothing wasted!!)
And I left her place four hours later with NO BAGS AT ALL! It felt good to let go of some stuff.